Wednesday, August 2, 2017

it's August, let's go camping


I stumbled over this camper parked not far from our house, the likes of which I have never seen before.  There was no model identification other than the Mercedes Benz logos.  But with a little help from my son-in-law and Google, I was able to find online what I believe is this very same vehicle and it was identified as a "Mercedes Benz 319 Unimog Gelandewagon".  With more help from Google translate and Wikipedia, I find that Unimog is a brand of four wheel drive trucks sold by M-B and Gelandewagon is German for flat bed truck.  More than you ever needed to know to appreciate this immaculately maintained camper that was converted from a truck (but who knows when).

7 comments:

  1. I like your photo of it, a bit like a miniature van.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would have taken a shot of it too Stuart, it's an extraordinary looking vehicle! I actually did find your investigations interesting, but blimey I would love even more to see inside 😀😀

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ohh. Met too. I really regret not meeting the owner.

      Delete
  3. That is just about the coolest camper I've ever seen, and SO high end! About as upscale as we get is our Eureka tent. Can't wait to do some French camping!

    Penny and Mark

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Camping in style indeed. Camping here is very popular. There campgrounds everywhere.

      Delete
  4. I wonder if it dates as far back as the 40s.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Judging from the hood and fenders of trucks made by Unimog that I've found on the internet, I would say some where from late 30s to mid 40s.

    ReplyDelete